Servant Leadership-This Blogger's Perspective

Yesterday, I had the privilege to be one of a handful of distinguished speakers to kick off the Servant-Leadership & Service-Learning (SL²) Conference hosted by the Pacific Islands University.  Founded in 1976, the 501(c)(3) Non-Profit Organization , PIU has provided accessible and transformational Christian college education to the young men and women of Micronesia.  The conference attempted to recognize the value and relevancy of Service-Learning in the real-world experience, demonstrate and understand the practical implementation of Service-Learning and increase and improve the application of Service-Learning methodologically.  Here is what this Blogger shared to the 75 in attendance in Barrigada, Guam:

"I want to thank the Pacific Islands University for the opportunity to speak today. For 38 years, they have been a leader in educating the young people of Guam and Micronesia and this conference could not have come at a better time .  Servant-Leaders are being called upon all across our community to share their thoughts on many important issues: minimum wage, economic development, the military re-alignment in Asia, protecting our healthcare and environment.  The public discourse by Servant-Leaders will translate into public policy and greater awareness of the things that matter most to our people and greater Micronesia. It is this awareness that was impressed on me as a young person that has led me to you all here today.

My father was a US Marine.  Back in the 1960's most young people like him at the time were trying to find their way in Guam.  For many like him, the attraction of a sharp dressed Marine led him from a for sure college career at University of California Berkeley to the battle fields of Vietnam.  A patriotic American.  Hence at a young age, he taught me and my two brothers early on that if we were ever called to duty to our island or nation that we should answer the call.  I wasn't sure what that really meant as a young boy and eventually a teenager-that was until I joined the Interact Club in high school in San Leandro, California.  Linked to Rotary International, the service club experience taught me that there was much I can do as a young person to help those less fortunate.  It taught me the values of being a leader in a community which needed more people to step forward.  The meetings started with pizza and sodas.  And yes-I went for the food.  What I later found was that discussing, organizing and actually engaging in a service project was very rewarding for me personally.  Candy grams morphed into road cleanups, which morphed into helping public television fund drives and the list grew and grew.  The experience inspired me later in life to establish the first Interact Club at Notre Dame High School when I joined the Rotary Club of Tumon Bay in 2011.  We will talk about that more in a bit. 

Stewardship.  A quality of a leader that many truly do not understand.  A true leader is focused on protecting and or being responsible for the well being of others.  In 2003, I was content as an Anchor-Reporter at KUAM-TV-the fourth broadcast station I had worked for in my 13 year career. I was able to travel the region, met people from all walks of life and laughed and cried with each and every one of them.   I knew my stories mattered.  I knew that the awareness I brought to our viewers via the hundreds of interviews was objective - allowing each to make up his or her own mind on the news of the day.  I knew that I was protecting the rights of many by giving a voice to the silent.  It is a profession that is still today a valuable and important one.  This exposure did catch the eye of many-in particular a person I least expected.  

The day was like any other.  A phone call.  A drive.  An office building in Agana was the destination.  I thought it was another news story.  It turned out to be something more.  It was on a morning in December 2002.  I was asked to join the Office of the Governor of Guam. I had this single question for Former Guam Governor Felix Camacho.  Why me?  His response was swift. You are young.  You are smart.  You are a Chamorro.  I know you will do a good job.  Then the voice of my Dad filled my mind-if you are ever called to duty to your island or nation you answer the call.  That was the start to an eight year appointment with the Camacho Administration.  Everyone who worked for Governor Camacho was guided by the simple mantra-stewardship.  Many a Cabinet Meeting.  Many a meeting in the office.  Many a talk with the people of Guam from Yigo to Umatac.  There was never more of a common goal  and challenge to protecting and being responsible of the services to the people of Guam.  From education to public safety to health.  I and the men and women who served-including some of those in this room-were guided by this mantra. 

Stewardship, I learned, was not about just this one chapter in my life that took me to the halls of Congress, to the Executive Office Building of the President of the United States, the West Wing of the White House, US Embassies in Japan, Korea, Taiwan, military bases around the world and the seats of governments from Majuro to New Zealand.  It was a philosophy that needed to  be an important part of my everyday life moving forward.  Stewardship-there helping me each day.

When my appointment ended and went back to the private sector for a company and then as a business owner, I felt a void in my life after public service.  Helping others can be contagious.  Helping others does more to lead others to being good corporate citizens.  As a Rotarian, guiding the young people of the NDHS Interact, St. Johns and JFK Interact Clubs, I am proud to mentor 150 high school students a year in making them think more about the value of Service Above Self and to also remind them that it doesn't look too bad on a college application.  Their service projects have been important and served many in our island community.    My company-gives much time to help develop the capacities of small businesses on Guam.  We have worked with a number of companies to help them traverse the bureaucracy of the business license process, legal establishment of a corporation, the registration to do business with the island's number one industry-the federal government and network with  other small businesses and even large ones.  Our goal-help us and others achieve our collective economic destinies as a successful company and further grow our community here and Micronesia.  Serving others the center of all of this.   

Having had the privilege to advise island leaders from the Marshall Islands to Palau, the interaction and insight has shaped much of my thought on serving others through my public service and now my small business.  I learned this particularly powerful lesson from current Palau President Tommy Remengesau during his first term -the oceans do not separate us,  they bring us closer together. It is this message that I give you today and why the SL2 Conference is important towards bring folks like you together and fostering this important value.  I will say that businesses in Guam and the region need to have stewardship training or insight into stewardship more than ever before.   Businesses can take the idea of stewardship and bring to bear something as important as a living wage-a positive value system that encourages reciprocal lending of time and resources to better our island society.  The discussions of such will continue to bubble up from time to time.  

It is the SL2 Conference that we need to bring to others.  This room is filled with bright young minds.  Ask yourselves-why can't we share our stewardship values with others.  I call this our first step together in that.  I am not the end all in this issue.  I am not even and expert in it-as each day poses one struggle after another to challenge me and other business owners to do the right thing.  Students are not removed from this.  You teachers that are here too must take up the mantle of leadership driven by stewardship.  The more teachers and students that can embrace this simple but powerful idea, the more we can expect our communities to grow for generations to come.  I ask that we embrace what you learn here.  Take all that you can back to your homes, schools and communities.  I leave you with this great quote from John Maxwell-"People do not care how much you know until they know how much you care."".


With support of the Guam Public School System, the PIU Conference did much to advance efforts to develop our new set of leaders on Guam and in the world.  It was a great experience for this Blogger.  Something that I would love to do again to help grow our leaders of tomorrow.